Hello again. In case you haven’t already figured it out yet we are still here in Luperon in our nice safe harbor. We haven’t had the weather window that we would like yet and to be honest with you we are torn on whether we should head out or stay longer. Our good friend Bob recently went to the VA hospital in Puerto Rico for a check up because he was not feeling good. He ended up needing a quadruple heart bypass surgery and has been gone for some time. Good news is that everything went well and he is healing up fast but we would really like to see him before we head south. He has to stay in PR for 8 weeks for recovery so we might try to see him there or get this, Brian is trying to decide if we should stay here in Luperon until Bob and his wife Georgette get back! The other alternative would to be to try to see them in PR and if we get the right weather window for the crossing we will most likely take it. So as you can tell indecision may or may not be our problem…ha ha! I could go for either way so it really does not matter to me. Flexibility is key in cruising and in life because you never really know what will end up happening. At least here I know that the harbor is calm, where I can get veggies and we have access to the all important rum!
Brian is still working hard on boat projects. Most recently was removing, fiber-glassing and painting Moon’s rudder. He’s completed all of the greasy, important engine maintenance necessary before a big jump and we are full of fuel so we can check off some of the final departure chores. So you can see that we are getting ready but for when, that is what we are not sure of. Remember last post that I said how fun it was to have to be ready for what ever happens…that thought still stands true 🙂
We’re not the only boat in Luperon that are thinking about leaving soon. There are a few others waiting for the right weather window to make safe passage to PR so I don’t feel like we’ve missed any opportunities to head out. We are getting excited though about the new adventures that lie ahead and I’ve been reading my cruising guides about all of the cool places that I hope we’ll be visiting. We are still not sure if we are going to take the North coast of PR or the more protected South coast. Once again Mother nature will make that decision for us when we are closer to the Mona Passage. If we head North supposedly it is rougher and we would only take that route if the weather was just right, so South might be the path…only time will tell.
I’ve been pouring through my cookbooks trying to come up with new ideas of quick and easy hearty dishes to make while we are underway. Of course I have my tried and true recipes to fall back on but I think that it’s fun to learn some new ones too. Easy, hot, filling or grab and go is the main idea. It’s not fun to spend time at the stove when underway! Brian’s been lucking out because he’s been getting to try lots of new treats recently.
Anyhow you can get an idea of what’s going on here. As always we will try to keep you up to date and who know…maybe our next post will be from the good old US of A….Puerto Rico! Take care everyone.
Jennifer and Brian